Kalari Legend
 
Kalari Building & deities Ammavan & Kurathi Bhagavathi Dharmadaivam
Plan & details of the deities
Dhyana Slokam
 
Kalari building and the Deities:
 
The Kalari we see today at Venkitangu near Athit Bhavanam was originally a Kalari meant for imparting training in combat and it is of ‘Nalpatteerati’ [42’] type.  Later when the Ullanat Panickers shifted their focus to administration of landed property, which was vast in size, the Kalari became more of a place of worship of tutelary deities.

An Ashtamangala Prasnam conducted at the Kalari precinct during the month of May 2002 revealed that originally it was the Karanavars who were conducting the ritualistic worship of the deities and it is only later that the Tantrik ritualistic worship was introduced.  Namboodiri Brahmins of Chennaas Mana alone know the traditional Tantrik rites of the deities of this Kalari.

 

The old building that housed the Kalari was extensively damaged by the devastating storm of the year 1938.  The Kalari was repaired and renovated by the Karanavar Raman Mootha Panicker later.  Name of this Mootha Panicker is inscribed in the stone plaque at the entrance of the Kalari.

 There are eight tutelary deities inside the Kalari temple (see the Kalari diagram) and they are known as ‘Kalariparadaivangal’. Outside the Kalari building, on the northern side is the Kodungalloor Bhagavathi and on the eastern side is the Vazhappalli Bhagavathi. These are universal deities and we have two special deities who are exclusive to the Ullanat Tharavad.